Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Reader's Art 12: Sun Young Kang

Reader's Art 12:Longing for Home   Sun Young Kang


Most people experience the situation of being a “fish out of water.” As a foreigner far from my country, the meaning of this phrase has become painfully evident to me. In my experience, homesickness has not merely been a feeling of melancholy but something more like the suffering a real fish out of water might experience. I have struggled with my identity as an outsider, lost the ability to express myself because of language barriers and struggled in a different culture. The fish in this book represents me: I have not been able to escape the feeling of being an outsider badly missing my home. However, the true focus of this book is that if we have patience and are willing to make an effort, there is always hope in even the most desperate of situations. For fish, water is their home and gives them life. Although the fish out of water could not survive, at the end of this book it creates its own water. We can never permanently leave or lose our home because our true home is what we create throughout our life no matter where we are.



Reader's Art 12:Longing for Home
March 16- April 26, 2012

No comments: