Friday, September 27, 2019

IN THE WINDOWS- ART QUILTS


-->
I have known Gwen for over 40 years.  She and I were roommates late in our college years.  She got a degree in Interior Design while I got mine in Fine Arts. She went on to a varied career including institutional interior design and, ultimately, library science.  In the last few years she has returned to her first love: color.  Using the skills of quiltmaking, she investigates how color and form influence each other.


2018-2019 Art Quilts
By
Gwen Schagrin



These works were inspired by a variety of situations: a guild challenge, workshops with art quilting gurus, techniques in books that I wanted to try, improvisational reworking of patterns combined with a new approach to three dimensions, and scrap piecing.

As always, I am motivated to create and explore by improvisationally manipulating color, form, composition, and balance.

The teaching and works of Rayna Gillman, Pam Beal, Jean Wells, and Cindy Grisdela have inspired and guided me.


No comments: