Thursday, January 24, 2013

I've never had to cancel a show before!

READER"S ART 13 is cancelled!

For the first time in my 15 years or so of curating shows, I did not receive sufficient numbers of proposed artworks to create a show that coheres. I usually receive images for around 100-125 books from which I fashion a show of around 90 books.  This year I received 40 books, only 25 of which "play together pretty well."  As a consequence, I am canceling Reader's Art 13 for this year.

This is not a reflection on the quality of the particular works, nor on my willingness to show it.  It is my responsibility to show the work in a way that enhances it, advances the field of artists books, and creates a coherent experience for the clientele. A show that looks scatter-shot does not fulfill these requirements and, indeed, hurts us all.

I will, from time to time, share images of some of the artwork proposed.  There really were many lovely pieces  and I would like to share them with you.

It is my hope to resume the show next year and to complete the cycle of Reader's Art in 2015.  At the end of the Reader's Art 15 show I plan to publish a catalog of the fifteen years of this show.
Crowku by Julia Babbs

Candela by Luz Marina Ruiz

Sandy Hook by Ginger Burrell
Learn more about these artists:
Julia Babb
LuzMarina Ruiz
Ginger Burrell



No comments: